Sunday, July 12, 2009

ON THE PEAKS WITH GARY SNYDER

I have been reading the Desolation Blues section of Jack Kerouac's Book of Blues. I was inspired to it by Poets on the Peaks, an excellent book by John Suiter, whose text is augmented by his excellent photos.

Suiter recounts the experiences of beat poets Kerouac, Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen and others on fire lookouts and examines how their time in isolation on the peaks of the Cascades affected them and their writing. It resonates for me especially because of the summer I spent at age 15 on Poison Rock Lookout in Mendocino National Forest and because the Beat poets were my gateway into poetry some years later as an adult.

Kerouac's writing has always been a love/hate thing for me (and for many others). He is capable of some of the most poetic writing of his generation, yet spends much time wallowing in the dark side of life. This aspect seems to worsen as he ages and sinks into his alcohol addiction. Yet in his later writing, he was capable of producing Pic, a book that manages to reach outside his own self-absorption. I would say his best books are Tristessa and The Subterraneans. They are concise and poetic. Desolation Angels and Dharma Bums are also favorites and it was the first one I read, On The Road, that sent me north to San Francisco at age 22, searching for signs of beatnik life and intent upon wriing the Great American Novel. Of that effort only a bulky and verbose first few chapters survive in a trunk in our storage shed. I ultimately came to most relish shorter poetry forms, especially haiku. Kerouac has some wonderful haiku in his Book of Haikus. A sample:

Brighter than the night
my barn roof
of snow

Kerouac was superseded for me by, first, Whalen, whose Every Day Poems I thought was a masterpiece back when I was 25 or so. I would come home each night after work at the Vallejo Times-Herald and read and write in my small studio at the back of our house at 185 West J Street in Benicia, CA. I loved Whalen's humor and still do. Ultimately, though, his writing is so erudite and filled with classical references that he loses me much of the time. An excellent essay by poet Tom Clark on one of his books, Overtime, is here, with a sample of Whalen's work at the end:
http://jacketmagazine.com/07/whalen-clark.html

In the final analysis, Snyder is to me the best of the so-called Beat writers. He has continued to evolve and mature throughout his life and has been a leader in environmental awareness. His poetry to me is the best there is in our day and age, much akin to the great Chinese and Japanese poets and in its worldview to native peoples everywhere. A short sample:

How Poetry Comes to Me

It comes blundering over the
Boulders at night, it stays
Frightened outside the
Range of my campfire
I go to meet it at the
Edge of the light
-- Gary Snyder

Whalen died a roshi, a Zen Buddhist priest in San Francisco. Kerouac died of internal hemorrhaging after a beating by two men at a bar in Florida, having long since abandoned his pursuit of the dharma. Snyder lives on at his home near Nevada City, CA, still writing, still espousing and practicing green living. He of all of them seems to have retained that awareness that springs from spending time in the mountains, on the high peaks. He is able to communicate that awareness and knowledge with as much humanity and wisdom as any American poet I know.

Among his books, not necessarily in chronological order:
Riprap & Cold Mountain Poems
Mountains and Rivers Without End
Earth House Hold
Axe Handles
Turtle Island
No Nature
A Place in Space
Danger on Peaks

A good anthology of his work:
Left Out in The Rain, New Poems 1947-1985

An online selection of his work:
http://www.english.illinois.edu/Maps/poets/s_z/snyder/onlinepoems.htm

Many thanks for the great work, Gary Snyder.

No comments:

Post a Comment